London - England

©2019 by Poster Girl. Proudly created with Wix.com

Search

Can You get in Shape in your 40’s?

Updated: Jan 24


Just ask google and you will get bombarded with information on how to start exercising and eating well in your 40’s. So the answer is quite simply YES!


I had an energetic childhood and teen years. Somehow, I entered my 20s only exercising how to lift pints in the pub (Welcome to Britain one should mention). By my 30s I realized I was neglecting my body and decided to make a change. Since then, I tried everything: from yoga to boxing. The most fun I had was practicing muay thai (a form of martial arts) for a couple of years - it was love at first sight but unfortunately, due to a change in circumstances, I gave up :(


Shortly before I hit 40 I became interested in weight training - yep I was already googling how to age with grace (OMG!!!!). The benefits of it seemed numerous; my research was educational, the best part of it was that it would be hard to end up looking like a dude - something about our level of testosterone not being the same as men (we have about 15 to 20 times less testosterone than men) which makes it impossible for us to get as big as they do. A sigh of relief here: phew!


In possession of more information than I bargained for, I got hung up with the fact that strength training lowers the risk of health conditions such as osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease, common problems that can appear after menopause. I was sold on the idea, where do I sign up?


It has been just over a year since I started my new workout regime, my “original” Brazilian bottom is getting perky :) but don’t expect to see pictures of it on Instagram anytime soon. I am just glad I am feeling strong and healthy.


Turning 40 should really come up with a memo saying: “Get Ready Bitch!”


Whether we like it or not, our bodies will change - blame your hormones as they are the ones in control. Menopause can be expected between the ages of 48 to 55 (most common). However, it's not unheard of women hitting menopause as early as in her 30s or 40s, or even as late as 60's.


Keep in mind that a lot of heart aching issues related to this period of our lives can be prevented - keeping a healthy weight and a regular exercise plan will help your body adjust better to the changes coming.

So if you have spent half of your life being a couch potato and drinking all the wine in the world but feel that now is time for a change, there is hope - just remember: is never too late to start a healthy routine.


If you are a complete beginner, I understand that it can get a little confusing and overwhelming. A friend of yours may have just lost a stone by following a “new diet”, but don’t be fooled, what works for one person may not work for you. Find out what works for you. The focus should be on your health and well-being.

So my advice is: enlist help if you can. Good and qualified professionals, such as personal trainers and nutritionists can identify your needs and guide you through your personal goals.


Needless to say that making better lifestyle choices like quitting smoking and drinking less alcohol will set you on the right path to ageing well.


Big cheers to health!!! Now pass me my glass of wine :)

Rewind...there it goes. Glass of wine, not a bottle! Balance is key ladies.




Notes & Tips:


Physical fitness is generally achieved through exercise and proper nutrition. If you like exercising you get the thumbs up, keep going!

If you are not a fan, try to find an activity you enjoy - walking, running, swimming, yoga, boxing, weight training, dancing etc. If makes your body move, just go for it!

Remember that you are not always going to feel motivated - that's fine. However, the more you exercise, the more it will become a habit. A good tip is to create a routine. Example: I always exercise in the morning before going to work. My alarm clock goes off at 6 am everyday. Initially, I struggled to get out of bed. These days I do it out of habit and whenever I think about missing a workout, I try to concentrate on that amazing feeling I get once I finish - it puts me in a good mood.


As for my diet - I can't say I follow one, I have tried and tested a few, such as paleo, keto and low-carb. Diets, no matter which one, comes with restrictions, and I don't like to deny myself certain pleasures. Therefore, I follow a balanced healthy lifestyle, where 70% of the time I eat well, and the other 30% I eat whatever pleases me. In the past, restricting myself from certain foods only made me crave more of it. Truth be told, I have never been overweight but unhappy with my eating habits. People who are looking into losing tons of weight should seek help from a nutritionist. Gorging, according to scientists, is an addiction, that's why is important to get professional advice.





31 views1 comment